With the winter season there are always unexpected problems. However, there are many easy ways to stay safe on the road through all of winter’s conditions.
PennDOT recommends these driving tips for staying safe on the road:
- Prepare your vehicle.
- Wear your seat belt and reduce your speed.
- Ensure that battery, lights, emergency flashers and wiper blades work properly.
- Check and maintain fluids and ensure your gas tank is full before traveling.
- Ensure tires are properly inflated and have adequate tread. Prepare an emergency kit containing a cell phone, heavy blanket, gloves, salt or sand, a flashlight, water and non-perishable food.
- Use extra caution on bridges and ramps, and beware of black ice.
- Use your low beams in bad weather.
- Remove ice and snow from windows, mirrors, lights, hood, and roof as often as needed.
- Make sure someone else knows where you are going and when you expect to arrive.
PennDOT also has a quiz on their website for safe driving in winter conditions and more tips on safety behind the wheel.